• September 19th, 2023

How do I file for divorce in florida

When a marriage reaches the point of being irreparably broken, you can initiate the process by filing a petition for the dissolution of marriage. This petition outlines your specific requests to the court regarding the divorce. There are four primary types of petitions to choose from, depending on your circumstances: the Petition for Simplified Dissolution of Marriage, the Petition for Dissolution of Marriage with a Dependent or Minor Child, the Petition for Dissolution of Marriage with Property but No Dependent, and the Petition for Dissolution of Marriage with No Dependent or Property. Following the submission of this petition, a notice is sent to your spouse, who is required to respond within a 20-day period. The response should address the stipulations outlined in the initial petition and any additional matters that your spouse wishes to resolve. Both spouses will need to provide various financial documents and an affidavit, as the division of financial assets can often be the most challenging aspect of the entire process. If you and your spouse cannot reach an agreement on asset distribution, the matter will be adjudicated by a judge. The judge will allocate both assets and liabilities based on the principles of equity, striving for a fair and just outcome. This determination may consider factors such as each party’s capacity to assume debt and their individual needs for financial support. It is often advisable to seek legal counsel to navigate this process effectively.

Contact Derek today About Your Case